April 11, 2012: Indian motorsport is on the rise with the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) announcing today that as many as 8 Indian Riders will participate in various Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM, International Motorcycling Federation), International Road Racing Series/ Championships in 2012. This is the highest number of entries from India in international two-wheeler championships as Indian riders now aim to make their mark in leading championships across the globe.
Indian riders K.Rajini & R.Deepak, the winner and Runner Up of the 2011 Super Bike National Championship respectively are representing FMSCI Team India in the Losail Asian Road Racing Series in Qatar. With continued efforts made by FMSCI along with the Qatar Federation and FIM Asia, the riders have got a free ride on Yamaha R6 motorcycles provided by the Qatar Federation. In Round 4 conducted at Qatar in March 2012, Rajini finished 4th in both races & Deepak finished 6th in Race 1. Deepak was forced to retire with a crash in Race 2. Round 5 of the Championship was conducted last weekend as a support race for the opening MotoGP round in Qatar. Rajini had a mixed weekend with a crash in Race 1 while finishing 5th in race 2 while Deepak had a solid points haul with a 4th place finish in Race 1 and 6th in Race 2.
Sarath Kumar is representing Team Mahindra Racing in the Italian Motorcycle Racing Championship. Sharath could not finish his first race due to mechanical problems which was won by his team mate from Mahindra Racing. Mahindra registered the first ever win by an Indian team in any international racing championship in Round 1. At Round 2 Sarath achieved his best ever finish with an impressive 7th place and registered his first ever points in any international race.
Shyam Shankar, D. Dinesh Kumar & S. Mathan Kumar, Winners of the Yamaha One Make Championship 2011 will represent Yamaha India in the Sugo Race Championship to be conducted in Japan in June. The Championship will be conducted on Yamaha YZF R15 Motorcycles.
M. Gautham & Deepak Papineni have been selected by Honda India to participate in the Honda Dream Cup to be conducted along with the Asian Road Racing Championship 2012. The Honda Dream Cup will be conducted on the Honda CBR250R motorcycles. The winners of this championship will get a ride on the Moto 3 World Championship 2013. FMSCI President Vicky Chandhok was thrilled to see Indian two-wheeler racing heading in the right direction. He commented, “This is great news for Indian motorsport and definitely a move in the right direction. The FMSCI has been pushing to give these youngsters a chance to race on the international arena and with the help of the manufacturers this has been possible. We have been working closely with the FIM to give our riders more opportunities. We wish them all the best and are confident they will make their country proud.”
With all 8 riders getting sponsored rides in the various international championships 2012 is turning out to be a golden year in Indian Motorcycle racing history.
The 2012 Season has just started in Europe . We have a record number of Indian Nationals / Fmsci competition licence Holders who will be participating in various International Championships and make a mark on the International stage . A brief outline of our talented sportsmen and the championships they are partaking in .
1) Narain Karthtikeyan the only Indian in F1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS .After an indifferent start at the Australian GP , he did well in Malaysia at one stage running as high as in tenth place thanks to a daring choice of wet tyres. At the Shanghai GP he has qualified well within the 107% time .The HRT car is slowest of the lot but is showings signs of improvement .
2) Karun Chandhok has contracted to drive in the FIA WORLD ENDURANCE Championship with the JPR team . The first round at the Sebring 12 hours saw his team finishing 6th in class inspite of loosing a good one hour changing the rear suspension otherwise a likely podium finish was within their grasp . He will be the first Indian to actually take the start at the famous 24 hours Le Mans in June.
3) Gaurav Gill - Driving for Team MRF in the ASIA PACIFIC RALLY once again had a wonderful outing finishing 3rd overall in the season opener .He won the Rally of Caledonia , round 2 .With a very good package Skoda Fabia S200 he is expected to bring many more podiums to his team.
4) Armaan Ebrahim has shifted gears literally and is going to take part in the full season FIRESTONE INDY LIGHTS CHAMPIONSHIP in the US . His first two rounds have shown that the much awaited podium results are just around the corner.
5) Parthiva Sureshwaren
2012 FIA FORMULA TWO CHAMPIONSHIP
2012 sees Indian racer Parthiva Sureshwaren return for a third season of Formula Two where he hopes to put his previous experience to good use and establish himself as a regular top 10 finisher.
Last season he became a regular top 15 finisher with impressive drives at the final two rounds of Monza and Barcelona, as well as narrowly missing out on a points finish at Brands Hatch after working his way through the field to 11th from 19th on the grid. He ended the 2011 season 25th overall in the drivers' standings.
6) Aditya Patel Drives a Audi TT in the exciting VLN ENDURANCE SERIES including being the first Indian in the iconic 24 hours of Nurburgring . He has had some very good tests with the Pro- Handicap e.v Team who have signed him up for a three year contract .
7) Sailesh Bolisetti
AVON TYRES BRITISH GT CHAMPIONSHIP - BOLISETTI FINISHES SECOND ON BRITISH GT DEBUT
An incident-filled first race at the Oulton Park season-opener saw the Vizag youngster battling the odds and inexperience to emerge on the podium. The inaugural race of the 2012 British GT championship lived up its fast-paced, closely competitive racing repute, with Indian driver Sailesh Bolisetti making it to the second spot on the podium on his series debut.
8) Oshan Kothadiya – finished runner up in VW polo cup india has been invited to take part in the highly competitive VW SCIROCCO R CUP , a 8 round championship held in Germany starting in end Apri.
8) Parth Ghorpade who was invited to take part in the final round selection of the FIA Drivers Academy 2012 last year zooms off into the competitive FORMULA ABARTH ASIA Series a 6 round, 18 race championship to be held on the Asian circuits.
(9) ARJUN MAINI , 14 years old,
Winner of the one in a billion Sahara Force India Hunt is karting in the Italian karting Championships and invited to take part in the 2012 CIK-FIA KARTING ACADEMY TROPHY rounds scheduled as under:
Braga (PRT) 6-8/07/2012
Angerville (FRA) 24-26/08/2012
Bahrain (BHR) 1-3/11/2012
As well as the BRTISH KARTING CHAMPIONSHIP .
10) Kush Maini , 11 years old,
Taking part in the Italian C60 Mini Karting Championship finished an impressive 4th in the first round.
11) Jehan Daruwala Another youngster who made a mark for himself in last years JK Tyre FMSCI Rotax Max National championship will take part in the SUPERONE KARTING CHAMPIONSHIP 2012 in the UK. He came in 3rd in the Asian Rotax Championship Round 1.
12) Shahaan Engineer - Takes part in the Formula Renault UK Championship.
13) Sanjay Takle/Musa Sherif . 1600 cc 2wd class in a Proton Satria Neo , won the 1600 cc 2wd class in the opening round of the APRC and are fully geared up to compete in the remaining rounds .